Friday, July 31, 2009

"Taken" by His love - Guest post by Osheta Moore


So, TC and I are big movie people. Well, more him than me. I use movies as a sleep aid. I'm asleep by the middle and instantly wake up at the credits. It drives TC crazy. So I make it a habit to put on my PJs, drink a glass of milk and cuddle on the couch with a blanket whenever he pops a DVD in. Not really, it's not intentional, it's just we have two very different tastes in movies. He loves a script driven movie with either lots of action or thought provoking plot lines. Combine the two and it will leave an impression on him. The Matrix I would say is one of his favorite movies and our daughter is named Trinity partly because of it. I on the other hand, love a good romance. I love seeing the journey a man and woman take together as they explore their love for one another and how that loves leave an indelible mark on their lives. I love seeing the workaholic wall street tycoon get a second chance at love through an angel's intervention. I love seeing the immature shopaholic find her purpose while learning to discern between love that is reciprocal and nourishing and love that is conditional on receiving the minimum payment due on the line of credit. For me, a movie is a sort of escape. I see so much of the ugliness in the world, that I really want to be reminded that there is beauty, that there is laughter, that there is joy, that there is love. But, two nights ago I chose to watch a movie that wasn't a romance or even a comedy. Two nights ago, I got a 90 minute look at the sex trafficking industry. I saw women objectified. I saw men with callous, evil hearts. I saw families grieve. I saw a father's relentless mission. And I saw my Heavenly Father's passion for his daughters.

To preface this, TC has been gone for 5 days generating support at his home church in IL and spending time with family. So, when he said "Babe, you've got to watch this movie with me!" I was all over it. Anything to sit next to him for a while after being apart for several days! When I saw the trailer for "Taken" I immediately knew that I wanted to see it. But in the trailer it shows a woman alone in her house getting taken by scary black-clad men. So I, knowing my low tolerance for anything too violent or haunting decided to put the movie out of my mind. The movie is about a CIA agent who retires to spend more time with his 16 year old daughter named Kim, whom he had spent little time with as a little girl because of his profession. She talks him into signing a consent form for her to go to Paris under the guise of an educational summer trip. Really the girl was planning on following U2 across Europe! So her dad finds out, make extra rules for her to follow while there (call when she gets there, give him the phone number to where she will be staying etc. )because he knows the underbelly of Paris and wants to protect his daughter. Well, her and her friend meet a charming and sexy-accented hottie at the airport, divulge too much information about their situation they tell him they are alone in an apartment and gives him the apartment number. All the while, the charming hottie is actually bait for beautiful American women. The girls get taken (hence the movie title) by a Ukrainian sex trafficking organization and Kim's father goes on a rampage through Paris to rescue his daughter.

As I was watching the movie it really hit a nerve with me. Not so much because of the despicable sex trade industry. That's horrible and it angers me just thinking about it. I have a friend who is passionate about bringing awareness and being the light of Christ in this dark corner of humanity and I am blown away by her. So I went into this movie with a little bit of preparation for that aspect of the movie. I was not prepared to see the gospel in that movie. I saw a woman's fear of her Heavenly Father, a woman's rejection of her Heavenly Father and a Heavenly Father's plan to redeem his daughter.

Kim, has a general distrust of her dad. He wasn't around very much when she was a child and when he was around she carried a significant fear with her. She says in the beginning of the movie, she always wanted to ask him what he really does that takes him away from her so often. When her dad drew her out on that, she tells him it's because she is afraid she wouldn't like the answer. So there's an element of wanting to know him, but feeling as if he is unknowable that he's maybe too dangerous to know, or that she'll be disappointed with what she finds. She also has a mother and step father that feed her distrust, by making sly comments and by treating him with disdain in her presence. And I immediately thought of all the women in the world that are believing lies about God. That as a young girl looked up at the beauty of the stars and knew there was Someone who made them and she knew that Someone made those stars for her. A love offering from a Daddy to his daughter. And her heart was glad. But as the enemy worked out his plan, the stars were shrouded by the fog of deception. One by one she lost sight of the stars and all she saw was nothingness. Black, empty void and hope was lost. Maybe she still believes the stars are there, but not the Creator. And so, fear and distrust become her new companions. She begins to believe that God doesn't love her because this bad thing happened or this good thing didn't happen. She begins to believe God is angry with her because she once believed but now struggles, and she's too afraid to ask him the truth. She begins to believe that her worth is in her body because that's real, that's tangible, the sensations are physical and really what does a deity that you can't see have to offer in comparison? In Kim I saw a woman completely ignorant to the powerhouse of a father sitting next to her in the car and I wonder how often I forget the ardent love of my Father and the resourcefulness that rests in His hands.

Because of her deep distrust of her dad she pays no attention to his cautions. She doesn't call her dad and she's not truly apologetic when he asks her why she's not following the rules. She pulls the standard, "you're ruining my life and you don't want me to have fun" teen bit. She's self-centered and unaware of how fragile her comfortable reality is. Until she is taken. She is taken into a world where sex sells, where it's not personal it's business, and where her only hope in staying alive is up to the man pumping her body with heroin who hopefully doesn't accidentally give her an overdose. She's turned into an addict and plans are made to violate her innocence and it's all because of her rejection of her father's care. And I think back in my life where I pulled the, " you want ruin my fun God" card and I had fun. Short-lived but costly fun. Fun that sometimes cost me relationships and fun that cost me my innocence. Fun that as I look back was an infection masquerading as a cure. Watching Kim, my mind filled with images of women armed with anger and accusations for the Lord turning away from the Lamb to cuddle with the wolf.

But because of who he is her dad goes to rescue her. Bryan Mills-the father, is a CIA agent with an arsenal of skills, experience, and instinct. He goes through the blackest pit of Paris to find and rescue his daughter. There is a French official who is Bryan's friend, and we later find out that he's working with the Ukrainians. He urges him to be quiet and to better yet leave the country. He asks Bryan to not make a mess. Oh, but make a mess he does. And I thought of Jesus. Jesus who John says was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. Jesus, God in the flesh who came to earth to in effect make a mess and get messy. He came to shake up preconceived notions of the Messiah. He came to reveal the Father to a people who had come to view him as only their Judge or their distant Creator. He came to mess up the destructive construct of the world that sin introduced. And he got messy. He comforted the unloved and unlovable. He accepted the pariah. He championed the oppressed. Jesus being fully God. Fully divine and without sin, he made touching the unclean both physically and spiritually the bedrock of his ministry.

Jesus came and He took no heed to social or religious mores. What... talk to a Samaritan woman who is shacking up to show her she has worth to me? I'm there. What... there's a woman caught in the act of adultery and some self righteous dudes want to use her to trap me when all I see when I look at her is the most beautiful work of my hand? I got this. What...a woman wants to spend time with me to learn and let me love on her and you're trying to get her go bake some bread? Let her enjoy the better portion. What...in order to restore mankind to me I must empty myself and subject myself to death- even death on a Roman cross? Not my will by Thine.

Redemption is messy. Bryan Mills ignored his friends plea and made a mess and hugely crippled the sex trade industry in Paris. Jesus ignored the Pharisees, Sadducees, and even his family's' plea to not make a mess and he through his death he overcame sin and through his resurrection he overcame death and his relentless pursuit to reveal the Father to us is crippling the plans of the enemy. Because of Who he is and because of who we are to him he made a mess.

There's a scene at the end where the father gets through the last obstacle to his daughter and she's standing there in her prostitution garb and she says, "daddy? you came for me". And of course Bryan takes Kim into his arms and comforts her. I was a mess inside when I saw that. I was a mess because I know there were times when my Daddy came for me. There were times when he sent someone to remind me of His love or His Holy Spirit reminds me of a scripture or when I get a small glimpse of His passion for me when I interact with my kids and i think, "wow...you came for me? I haven't picked up my Bible in days and... you came for me? I have sinned in my anger and... you came for me? I have carried bitterness in my heart like a talisman and... you came for me? I'm struggling with trusting you when everything in my life tells me you just don't care anymore and today...you came for me"

So, in watching a very action packed 90 minutes I couldn't help but look pass the explosions and the gun fights and see the story of redemption. The driving force behind the movie is a father's love for his daughter which was a very dim reflection of the Heavenly Father's love for us. So where are you? Are you disillusioned because the stars no longer shine bright? Ask God to remove the lies and his Truth will shine forth and light up your sky. Are you rejecting His will for your life that comes from a place of deep, true, pure love? Stop. Ask God for a bigger perspective. Repent and let Him teach you how to live a fulfilling life. Are you standing in the middle of the room and the sin from your past is hanging from you like cheap lace? Run into His arms, cry into His chest and let Him love you back to wholeness. Allow yourself to be taken by His love.

No comments: