Saturday, April 11, 2009

Theological Traditions & Photoshop Fun

When I'm bored, I sometimes indulge in a little Photoshop fun. In this composition, I have represented two theological traditions by a select number of their adherents. For the Theological Determinism tradition, I selected John Piper, Mark Driscoll, Spurgeon, Calvin, Luther, St. Augustine, and Plato. Yes, I included Plato :) For the Free Will Theism tradition, I selected Greg Boyd, Clark Pinnock, John Sanders, John Polkinghorne, Jürgen Moltmann, Jacobus Arminius, Luis de Molina, and Origen.

I realize that some might object to grouping of Open theists with Arminius and maybe even Molina. While Open theists certainly don't share all the views of these 16th century theologians, Arminius and Molina did pave the way for the view these scholars hold. Open theism could be better thought of as a type of Neo-Arminianism or Neo-Molinism. Moltmann shares in this tradition for the critique of the classical-biblical synthesis he shares with Open theists.

For more on Open theism's relationship to Arminianism, read this article by Dr. Steven Studebaker.

Also, I like to use photos of nebulae to represent the beauty and complexity of this theological subject, and the particular nebula I used in this comp is called the "God's Eye" nebula. I thought that it would be ironically appropriate.

No comments: